Monday, January 22, 2007

Assignment #2

Way to crush my spirit, Eric Avila.


Discovering that Disneyland was designed to represent, "order, familiarity, and harmony," was uber depressing. Just be blunt, Avila...Disneyland promoted conformity. I mean I guess it doesn't surprise me in the end -- all I ever hear about that Walt Disney character is that he was a major racist, so it kind of makes sense that his theme park would have a convoluted parallel to that. However, this still does not soften the blow.


Just sticking to the basics, Jerry's suburb doesn't seem much different from Disneyland. Divergence from the guidelines is strongly prohibited and frowned upon; conformity still ultimately rules. Clearly if he is concerned that his, “different,” house (because of the slightly varying roof shingles that create an, “X,” for a safer, more accurate landing of his plane) will upset the neighbors, there is an issue. Ugh.


I guess this just really irks me because I have always been raised to be myself, which requires being an individual. March to the beat of your own drum! So, all this stuff about traditional values and submission to the bland standards these suburban societies have placed upon their residents seems like a load of crap. I’m still trying to figure out the rationale behind this goal to remain super vanilla; I just don’t see the fun in being just another faceless person is a crowd.


Oh well; I am now officially repressing all of this information from my head so I can return to ignorantly enjoying the happiest place on earth...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's sweet to be young and innocent...

2 comments:

KT said...

Ah yes...Avila sure burst our Disney bubble. I agree that striving for normalcy is such a depressing approach to life.

BTW, I have my own picture at Pooh's honey lair doing similarly silly things!

Are you coming back to class?

Ashley Elaine said...

Lol, yeah...I should be in class today -- I have been under the weather all weekend. :-(